Working as part of an innovative and active product team my day-to-day tasks are varied. Primarily taking responsibility for the design, development and delivery of the Myprogress assessment product, my role allows me to engage with all product stakeholders, at all stages of development.
My background in user experience design and front-end development allows me to take a hands-on and active role in the development process. Whether working with customers to agree requirements, defining, designing and scoping efficient solutions or prototyping workflows and interfaces, I am uniquely positioned to get stuck in, get things done and lead by example.
Key achievements & successes
- Driving marketplace adoption of Myprogress, increasing market share from a single university implementation to over 25 in the last 36 months.
- Managing the specification, design and delivery of over 850 man-days of product investment – working with both internal and external stakeholders to deliver rich, usable product functionality driven by both commercial and end-user requirements.
- Leading R&D in the fields of personal portfolios and digital badging, presenting work and engaging with audiences at several, large conferences and events, ultimately leading to the development of the Myshowcase.me, Openbadges.me and BadgeUp.me products.
Technical Product Manager (Myprogress) / 2015 — Present
My current role sees me firmly placed within the product team, owning the technical design and delivery of the company’s flagship product - Myprogress. Working closely with my pre-sales and requirements analysis colleagues, as well as the post-sales support and implementation teams, I can focus on the design of flexible and usable solutions, ensuring the customer’s voice is present throughout the development process.
Typical activities as part of this role include:
- Working with requirements analysts to define innovative yet appropriate and efficient solutions to end-user requirements.
- Scoping, documenting and estimating product changes to allow for informed roadmap prioritisation and decision making.
- Presenting and reviewing, at board level, development plans and solution designs to ensure whole-company buy-in.
- User experience design, visual prototyping and front-end development, working directly with the development team.
- Continued engagement with the development team to ensure that production is in line with all agreed requirements and in line with wider, commercial and technical strategies.
- Monitoring budget across design, development and QA departments to ensure product development is on-track and on-budget.
- Ongoing management of issue and bug prioritisation as well as ongoing reduction of technical debt.
- Production of non-technical documentation for both internal and external audiences.
Product & Design Manager / 2011 — 2015
Having led on the organisational shift from project-based developments to product development, this role enabled me to take more responsibility for the core product line. As well as managing the forward product roadmap, I worked with the development team to ensure continued to support wider company strategy as well as overseeing the design of all product development output, including online marketing presence.
Product Strategy Manager / 2009 — 2011
Taking a leading role during a period of organisational direction change I was positioned to oversee the shift from project-based software development to a product-based approach. Taking the technical heart of the varied projects being supported and shaping it into a configurable, reusable core that could deliver standalone, off-the-shelf function while maintaining flexibility for the existing customer base.
Usability Design Manager / 2005 — 2009
Flash e-Learning Designer & Developer / 2003 — 2005
A little about me
Outside of work I’m a father of 3 young boys. What little spare time they leave me, I have a keen interest in the guitar having built both an electric guitar and banjo, and enjoy designing and building hand-wired guitar effects pedals. Remaining creative is very important to me and I enjoy illustrating both digitally and with pencil and paper. I also hold a full, clean driving license.